When the air in your home is too dry, static electricity builds and you are shocked when you touch a light switch. When the air in your home is too moist, you may experience difficulty breathing. It comes down – all year long – to maintaining an appropriate air to moisture ratio, and that is the job of your humidifier.
Low Humidity in the Home
When the air is too dry, you will likely have dry or even cracked skin, dry sinuses, and allergic reactions, making symptoms of some health conditions even worse.
Low humidity affects your wood furniture, and wood flooring. Like dry skin, wood will crack with too little humidity, causing it to warp. In some instances, this can result in structural damage to your home.
High Humidity in the Home
High humidity makes it hard to breathe and exacerbates allergies and asthma. In the wintertime, high humidity is responsible for moisture or ice on the inside of your windows and doorwalls.
Wood is also affected by high humidity, causing warping and the development of mold. A damp house is an open invitation to mold-borne diseases.